When I'm fortunate enough to travel, I find myself getting more excited about packing my toiletry bag(s) than my clothing. Depending on my destination and the activities I have planned, I generally pare back my regime and my makeup while I'm away, choosing to focus on the actual holiday rather than spending hours in the bathroom. I'm going out for the evening to a nice restaurant or bar I'll pop on some bright lipstick or some false lashes for a bit of glam.
I try to decant larger products into travel size bottles where possible, this way I can take my favourite shampoo and conditioner, etc. without having to purchase travel sizes. I put aside skincare samples for travel - Mecca Beauty are amazing and always send out samples with their orders, and you can order sample sachets on the Paula's Choice Australia website for $1.00 - $3.00; I purchase my serum, AHA, and a few others in these sachets to take away so I don't have to take my full size products with me. Sephora and Mecca also have travel sections on their websites with some cute travel size makeup and skincare options.
Below is a selection of my favourite products to travel with, along with a few "just in case" items.
On the plane
- Hurraw Lip Balm: 100% natural and super hydrating for dry lips.
- Essano Rosehip face wipes: I put two or three in a little zip lock bag for the flight to remove makeup and refresh my face throughout the flight.
- Paula's Choice Hydrating Mask sample sachet: I love to apply a thick layer of this during long flights to keep my skin hydrated and smooth.
- Bali Body Tinted Moisturiser: I apply this just before landing for SPF and a light layer of coverage.
- Clear Eyes: great for sleepy post-flight eyes.
For the shower
- Eco Tan exfoliating glove: amazing for removing faux tan and dry skin.
- Ecostore Coconut Soap: a super gentle, 100% natural soap with a lovely coconut scent.
- Angel Shampoo & Conditioner: these leave my hair feeling incredibly soft. Decant into travel size bottles or pick up an Angel travel pack.
- Two disposable razors: I've had laser hair removal on my Brazilian and underarms, but I love the Gillette Daisy razors for my legs.
For Hair and Body
- Loving Tan Ultra Dark Mousse and/or Little Honey Self Tan: the only safe tan is a fake tan! I adore both of these products for their depth of colour, pleasant smell, and long-lasting tan.
- Loving Tan tanning mitt: To apply the above. The mitt is is a game-changer and does the work for you.
- Skinfood Body Butter: the BEST body butter I've ever used. Super hydrating with a lovely non-sticky finish.
- Invisible Zinc sunscreen: a must for any tropical destination. This stuff performs really well in the water.
- A mini hairspray: the Fudge and Sebastian options are great. I often do a quick bun or pony and finish with a spritz of hairspray to smooth flyaways around the hairline.
- Clear hair ties and bobby pins: for my styles above.
- GHD irons: an absolute must. I love the versatility of these irons; I'm a huge curl fan and I can create a soft, effortless wave in five minutes with these babies.
In the makeup bag
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Taupe: the best brow pencil ever; long-wearing and natural looking. The Taupe shade is excellent for blondes.
- MAC Extended Play Gigalash Mascara: water-resistant and INCREDIBLE. I can't be without it.
- Bali Body Tinted Moisturiser and/or Paula's Choice SPF moisturiser: my first step in the morning is to apply a base with SPF, followed by foundation and/or concealer.
- Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector in Opal: for a gorgeous glow on the cheekbones. Often I'll wear this alone for dewy-looking skin.
- Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Black: I use this to create a waterproof winger liner with a super sharp edge. I like to play up my eyes, and this is a fun way to do so without using eyeshadow.
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer in Custard: this concealer is lightweight and gives the most beautiful coverage. I use this instead of foundation when I travel to spot cover and create a natural look.
- NARS Invisible Pressed powder: I use this to mattify my t-zone. It is super natural looking and doesn't add any colour or coverage.
- Mini Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray: truly makes everything last the day and the night! One of my holy grail products.
- XO Beauty False lashes: great to amp up my natural look for night time.
- Tweezers to pluck strays and apply lashes.
- Hydrocortisone cream for bites, sunburn, allergic skin reactions.
- Plasters and Betadine cream for any cuts or scratches.
- Gastrolyte rehydration tables - great for the morning after a few too many cocktails.
- Imodium in case of tummy upsets.
- Panadol for headaches and general pain relief.
- Organic Initiative tampons - I also have one or two in my handbag.
- Sard soap - excellent for handwashing and removing stains from clothing.
- Safety pins for clothing emergencies.